Friday, March 21, 2008

Thinking on Easter

I'm not sure why, but I'm having a sentimental moment. It's cloudy and rainy outside. I am praying that the temperature stays warm enough that the roads don't become icy before I go home today at around 5 p.m. I am killing time between hearings and I am thinking on Easter.



My heart is overflowing with gratefulness for the sacrifice of Christ's death on the cross so many years ago. I imagine His conversations with his disciples the night He was taken into custody and how He begged them to stay awake in prayer for Him. He asked God if He really had to do this. I have pondered it before, and I imagine it would be a bit scary. I know He is God, so I'm not sure He gets scared--or got scared, but I do know He wasn't looking forward to what was to come. And yet, He submitted. I know how selfish I can be, even when I know I am being selfish and shouldn't be. I can behave childishly sometimes. Very disappointing to note about myself.



But I keep thinking about Christ taking the next step at every critical moment. The beatings. The cross. I am sure He was looking ahead to eternity with His Father, but first it was hell.



I am thankful that He did it. I am thankful that I know Him. I am thankful that's He's worked on my heart as much as He has. I am thankful that He'll still be doing it in 40 years. (And there will be plenty to keep Him busy, I'm sure.)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Jessica, This morning as I read the passion story again I was struck by his innocence. He had done nothing wrong to anyone. He had never even had a sinful thought. Yet, he was accused and beaten and punished as though he had been bad. I don't even like being accused of doing what I have actually been doing wrong---let alone what I've not been doing wrong. I protest and I defend. He did neither. Amazing Love how can it be, that He died for me. And you too!!
Love you Judy <><