Friday, March 7, 2008

My Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Deep sigh. Can I tell you about my week? (Not waiting for a response.)



I went to work on last Friday and my steno machine wasn't working right. It gets a little technical, but I needed to get it fixed. Places that fix steno machines aren't like auto repair places. There are only a few, and they aren't next door to where I live. Not only are they scarce, but I NEED this machine all week long because I'm working every day. I called ahead to where I was going to be working most of the next week, and they had a machine I could borrow, so I scrambled to ship my steno machine off to one of these places. I got to the shipping store right as the UPS guy was loading his truck. I begged (not kidding) him to wait just a minute to add my box, and he finally agreed. He was not happy to be agreeing, but he did agree.

I had a nice weekend and went off to work on Monday morning without a hitch.



Switching gears. (Pun intended.) I arranged for our Honda to be fixed on Tuesday. They told me it would probably take until Friday, or maybe even Monday, to replace the transmission.

Back to work. Around lunchtime I was told that I wouldn't have to work on Tuesday. This is good, because it makes arrangements for getting the Honda to the shop even easier. So John and I drove both cars the 40 miles to the Honda dealer on Tuesday morning, did a little shopping while we waited for word about the rental car. Finally gave up after an early lunch and decided we'd just have to figure it out later. When we were about 10 miles down the interstate, we got the call from Honda approving the rental car, so we had to drive back and pick one up. That's okay. We were happy to have the vehicle.

Then at home I got a call saying I didn't have to work again until Friday, followed by a call saying one of the other court reporters was sick and I needed to work tomorrow.

All told, long day. Family hot tub. Feel better. Go to bed....Wake up to husband saying that I left the lid off the hot tub all night long. We are talking about overnight temperatures into the single digits. Expensive mistake. These things happen, though, right?

Moving on. I get out the door for work in good time, driving the rental car down the interstate, when I receive a call from John that I've taken his keys. This is not good for him. He can't drive the car to take Gertie to the sitter, to work. He can't get into his office. He doesn't sound happy.

I had agreed to cover for the morning, but things were going long and I was worried about John getting to work on time for his night class. I was creating a big stir, trying to find someone to cover for the afternoon, but when I went into court after lunch they declared they'd be done within 30 minutes. And they were. I raced home to relieve my husband. It all worked out once again...except I forgot my still-functioning equipment in the courthouse 40 miles away. This is disappointing.

Thursday was supposed to be a day for fun. Gertie and I were going to story time, where I would listen to stories read aloud by the librarian and she would stare at other children as they listened to stories read aloud by the librarian. Then we were going to a play date in the afternoon and a birthday party after that. I did not want to ruin this day by giving up a single one of these fun events we were looking forward to. So I used my exceptional organizational skills to plan a quick drive over to Rochester to pick up my equipment right after story time, and just before the play group. It was tight, but we made it.

Now when I get home from the play date I check on the Honda to find out if it's going to be done on Friday or Monday. I am told that the transmission arrived, and they'll finish installing it TODAY. This means that we have to get over there to pick it up because Honda is only paying for a rental car until the repair is completed.

I am also checking on my steno machine, which I thought would arrive today, but I've seen neither hide nor hair of it, and I'm told he'll mail it tomorrow. Now I panic. No. I MUST have it today. That's fine, he says. I can ship it on the Greyhound same day. You can pick it up on your way to work in the morning. Whew.

Later I am checking to see that all is going well, and I'm told that "Ole's Gas Station" isn't open when the Greyhound arrives at this stop at 11 p.m. at night, so if I want the package off that bus, I'd better be there personally to pick it up. Hmmm. Sitting at a dark, closed gas station at 11 p.m. at night waiting for a Greyhound just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Not to mention this would involve yet another lengthy drive for me. This day is not looking bright. I call the guy back, not very happy, and he says he'll work it out.

He calls me while I'm driving my newly repaired Honda home from the repair place. I was glad for the conversation, because I guess when they replace a transmission they have to disconnect many things, including my stereo, which is an anti-theft stereo that needs a special code to power up again. No one seems to have this code right now, so I'm driving without my usual companion, NPR. Anyway, he's going to personally drive my steno machine down to my house later tonight. Will I be home? Sure. And thank you. I'm thinking, I just hope he doesn't come between 8 and 9 p.m., while Lost is on.

Oh, he made it. Our car made it. I made it. I was reflecting this morning (and many times yesterday) that as each thing would go wrong, a solution was always found. There was just lots of phone calls and stress trying to get to the solution. God was faithful. It was just a very stressful couple of days. The test must have been: How did I handle the stress? Overall, I thought I did okay. (Don't quiz John about this!) No, seriously, I truly did try to find the blessings in each situation as they worked themselves out. I praise God that He is my constant in days where I really need one. I praise God for occasional broken stereos. I praise God for rental cars and good customer service. It's still out there! I was beginning to lose faith in that.

Deep sigh. I feel so much better now.

No comments: