Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My story starts with tears. I can't believe I cried, but I did. We are having a great time in Julie's van heading to Iowa City when Gertie looks at me and says, "Messy." I look at her hand and she's got poop all over it. It is coming out her diaper. We pull the car over in emergency mode. I pull her out and try to remove her shirt without getting poop all over her hair, carefully lay her down on the only blanket I brought for her to sleep with, and clean her up. Then I stand her on the ground while I try to clean the blanket up a little before I put the new diaper on. She pees. I clean her up again, put her in her carseat (which is poopy and I haven't cleaned yet so now she is poopy again.) I clean her up again and put her in my seat while I clean her carseat and she pees again. Right about now I turn into the baby and the tears flow. I put her diaper on and clean my seat. Thank God for leather (Julie might not think so.) Now I go into the Wal*Mart bathroom to clean up and try to come out a new woman. I'm thankful for my sisters who pulled me back up and for Gertie who went to sleep.

We checked into our favorite hotel there and the kids swam...and swam...and swam. Tate was a little afraid, but once he learned he could trust the bubble, he was all over it. They were prunes by bedtime, but they had a great time.

All the family came to visit us at the hotel except for Grandpa. They all look great, as usual and it was fun to catch up. I regret I forgot to get the camera out for Ann and Bill and Becca and Ian. They brought us dinner at the hotel. Delicious burgers and dogs and a great salad Ann made. Annabelle is so cute and on the go. She kept them moving most of the time, and they finally gave up. It was fun while it lasted.


Dale and Jean and John arrived later all spiffed up, on their way to their class reunion. We chatted for a bit and took some pictures.




Just before they arrived I had the idea that we should go out to Grandpa's old place the next day. We liked that idea, and Dale said he'd join us if it worked out.






It turned out that it did work out. Dick was agreeable, Dale even brought Grandpa along. They didn't hike with us, but they enjoyed the atmosphere for a bit. Of course, it was preceded by a super fast shopping spree at Target for something--anything--we could hike through the woods and tall grasses in. (I wore my pajamas.) We hadn't planned on doing that, but next time I will.

We have so many memories from that place, and it was fun to take the kids along. They each picked out a walking stick, just like we used to do. They each got tired of carrying it about half-way through, just like we used to do. It was music to my ears when Hunter said he didn't know it was going to be this long of a hike. Memories.

Dick has planted a prairie with native grasses and such. It was beautiful. Gertie and I picked another prairie boquet. It was much smaller this time, and alive with color. It is sitting in a little cream pitcher I got from Grandma when they cleaned out the first Oaknoll apartment. I love it.










Like I said, Grandpa didn't get out of the car, but we improvised and got a picture anyway. He looks great. We had a lovely visit. Julie watched the kids for me and I was able to go over by myself and say hello. It was nice to be able to give Grandpa my full attention. (And to have his.)





And now, on to the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. It was a good morning. Grace is so mature and on top of things now that she took care of all of her own business. She made her own lunch and loaded her things and made sure she was out the door on time. There is much to load up for her because she's in tennis this year. She didn't come home until almost five o'clock. That's a long day. She was tired and we missed her. But I'm pleased to see her growing up into such a lovely young lady.


And then it was Ethan's turn. John and I rode bikes with Ethan to school. He was beaming and excited. He reported that the day was long, but fun. He likes his teacher. John had me take a picture of Gertie and Tate on the bikeride too. We all had fun.



As for John's birthday, it wasn't as eventful as it should have been. We went out to dinner at the Chinese buffet, which he chose. We filled our bellies full and enjoyed the company of each other for a brief spurt before we returned home to get ready for bed. I do love him dearly. I am thankful that God placed him in my life as my husband. (But if I don't quit blogging right now, this second, he may not feel the same way about me.) We're going to Rochester for some birthday boy shopping. Without kids. Yippee!

1 comment:

heather said...

Wow, what a full weekend!! Glad you guys had so much fun!
And we're glad everyone had a great first day back at school (and that you got a picture of Gertie and Tate as well!)

Happy Birthday John (just a little late)!!!