Friday, August 31, 2007

So Much Vacation

Well, it's been a while. Beth arrived and we went to Minneapolis. We had a great time taking the kids to the science museum. They just messed with everything they could get their hands on. At one point we found this great exhibit where it was a huge sandbox with water kind of running through it from some different spots. There were a few shovels and the idea was to create dams and rivers and watch how the flow of water changes. Very cool. Our whole bunch of kids climbed into the sand and they were all over this thing. Gertie pooped so I took her--all sandy--to the bathroom to change her, leaving Beth alone with all the cousins. When I came back I was told that they weren't supposed to be in there with their feet, just their hands. Well, we had seriously abused that exhibit, but no harm done. It was fun. The boys ran and ran. We had talked to Julie who thought we better leave by 4 p.m., but I said, We'll never make it to then. We did. Even Gertie. It was a great memory of which I have no pictures because I forgot my camera for the whole trip. I know Beth eventually took a few with her iPhone.

All the sisters followed that up by treating Mom to the Chanhassen Dinner Theater that evening. It was a celebration of womanhood through song (or something like that). It was fun to listen to all the old tunes.

The next morning we were a little worn out and grumpy, but we forged ahead to the Sculpture Gardens. It was again so much fun. The kids ran around taking in these sculptures. It was beautiful and fun. I'm glad we did it.

We stopped off to see Mom on the way home and then here we are. My living room was done. We put the furniture back in place. If I did absolutely nothing else all week long, I'd be thrilled. I love having the dining room back and the living back. I took some pictures so you can share my joy.















As Grace has shared, we found out that a friend of hers died while we were gone. That was heartbreaking. We went to the visitation last night and we'll attend the funeral today. As a mother, this is heartbreaking.

When we came home last night John and Gertie were coloring the steps and sidewalk with some chalk that Aunt Ann had given us. Gertie was covered in chalk also, but she was having so much fun. (I realize this is ridiculous, not knowing how to turn these pictures. I'm sure it must be simple. I'll try to get educated soon.)

I almost forgot to mention the kids' conferences. I had these ideas that I'd take the camera and get pictures of them, but when it gets down to it, I guess I'm glad we remembered the school supplies. They probably would have been embarrassed anyway. I am excited for both of them this year. Ethan's teacher is planning on sending him to 4th grade math. I have some concerns about doing it that way (like what happens in 5th grade when 6th grade math is in another school?) but my hope has been that he'll get some truly challenging curriculum in math, so maybe this is the answer. If it doesn't go well, then we can always reevaluate. I think he's pleased. That was a concern of his as well. When his teacher asked him what his hopes for the year were, he said, "I want to work on improving my handwriting and keeping a clean desk, because those things I never did last year." What a brown nose.

We went to Grace's conference with her homeroom teacher. She has been placed in honor's math and reading. My hope is that goes really well for her and she'll have many other kids who are on the same page now that the pool consists of all Austin 6th graders. We talked to her teacher about her concerns of being labeled the smart kid and how she wants to avoid that and her teacher talked with her and encouraged her in the best way. I was so pleased. I knew the teacher had probably been through this a thousand times, and she told Grace that everyone at this age tries to avoid being labeled. They just want to blend in. She also talked to her about the future and the reason to try her best all through school, and make choices that push you toward better preparedness for college and career choices if you want them. She also talked to her about there being so many new kids at Ellis that she'll have many peers just like her. It was great.

P.S. I'm determined to remember to take pictures galore when we go to Iowa City this weekend. It will fun with many to see.

2 comments:

heather said...

Wow, lot's of fun stuff!

And not so fun... Grace I'm so sorry about your friend and I pray that while it is such a sad thing, that it will help remind us all not to take our lives or our friends or our families for granted. I know she was blessed to have you for a friend Grace.

Jess, I'm excited you have your living spaces back in order! And that you all are having such a good end of summer with such fun.
Can't wait to hear more about school stuff once you get rolling in that!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope John had a GREAT BIRTHDAY!!! Are you gonna post how you all celebrated???