Thursday, February 28, 2008

work-a-day

I'm at work today. It seems I'll be working a lot more here in the near future. I haven't blogged about it because for some reason it seems like not the right forum, but I had a friend die suddenly a couple weeks ago from a brain aneurism. She was 44 and the mother of two boys, a high school senior and an eighth grader. She was a good friend to me and also a court reporter. She worked full time for a judge about a half-hour from where I live. Her judge is going to retire at the end of April, so they didn't rush to hire a new court reporter, and just want me to fill in as much as I can. I am not going to work on any Wednesdays because that day is so busy for John and I want to be home to support him, but otherwise I am taking on quite a few days. This is on top of agreeing to fill in for another court reporter starting May 12th for 12 weeks while she enjoys maternity leave. I was reluctant to accept that position, but her judge is taking off every Friday in June and another week in July, so I said I'd go ahead and do it. So I find myself working away...and that really isn't what I want to be doing ALL the time, just some of the time, but I also feel a loyalty to the people who have been so flexible to work with me in the past, and they are really in a pinch.

Not working on Wednesdays enables me to keep up in Bible study, which I love, but I also feel like I don't want to give Gertie up for even two hours on the only day I have with her some weeks. It really isn't all week every week, even now, but sometimes it is. I guess I'm just struggling with this decision. Which I've made.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonder what Gert would look like with a few little bangs...why not try cutting some bangs for her.. :)

as far as work === You can do it ! I know your little brood follows along with what ever you give them to do. They will be fine ... it is not forever and it will not hurt them to take on alittle more for themselves. If it gets to be too much work for you then you can make your adjustments accordingly. You will do whatever is "right for you and yours" - TTFN W/L M