Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Promise (Sort of)

Today I am posting only because it's been so long since I've written anything. I have now got my blog list on Google Reader, and I check it frequently. It is quite disappointing when there is nothing new to read, yet I let my blog go too long between posts. I will try to do better, but sometimes I feel like there is nothing too interesting going on around here.

Grace had another gymnastics meet last weekend. We all went. Ethan kicked off his boots only to reveal socks riddled with holes (quite embarrassing) and took a nap(!) on the bleachers. Gertie found a friend to play with, and had a good time, and scared only one adult into a "safer" section of the bleachers. John and I watched very proudly as Grace competed in every event. She didn't win anything, but she did a great job on each event. I was beaming.

Ethan had a friend over today. We picked up the house all morning, including bedrooms, mopped floors (which really needed it), and we were ready for some fun. Ethan's friend had invited him for a sleepover, but we compromised with an afternoon play date. They had a great time together playing hide and seek and Playstation and everything else they could think of to keep Gertie from falling asleep. Our house just shakes whenever Ethan gets going. Sometimes I check on him, and he's really not being all that rowdy, but our house shakes. Even when he's on the third floor and we're on the first. Anyway, we put Gertie down at 1 p.m. and she was just falling asleep at 3 p.m. And that was after many songs and scoldings and lovings and beggings and threats, until I finally sat in the chair in her room and read my book. Actually, it was a nice quiet time for me to read. I liked it. BUT I'M NOT DOING IT AGAIN.

I am reading Into the Wild by John Krakauer. I had read another book of his called Under the Banner of Heaven. Very well done. And I'm finding this book fascinating as well. It's about this guy who starved to death out in the Alaskan wilderness. You've probably heard about him. Anyway, very interesting story.

Gertie. Potty-training. What can I say. John thought I was crazy to try before she turned two. I considered agreeing with him, but she was telling me and actually going often. I got tired of pulling the diaper off all the time. Anyway, she did great for a couple days, and then she had a bad night (wetting on her Dad's feet) and then we went to church the next night and she had two accidents (and no successes). Then we went to the library in the morning and she had another accident. Do you think I should give up? I did. I do. I went to Target and bought 100 more diapers. But then she starts telling me again all the time. She takes her diaper off when I put her down for a nap, a few days in a row now. So here's where I am now: When we're at home, she's not wearing a diaper. And this is working. But when we go out I'm slapping a diaper on that rear end and enjoying myself. Probably very confusing for her, but that's where I'm headed.

John is dragging in firewood for a big game day tomorrow. We are very excited for the Patriots to make history as they defeat the Giants tomorrow. I am hoping for a close, exciting game. And a victory, of course.

1 comment:

heather said...

Oooh, I read Banner of Heaven a couple of years ago and loved it. I'm interested in more of his books.

For Gertie's naps... I don't know if this would work for her, but I've found that if I don't get Sawyer down early enough, naptime is a struggle like that. His "window of opportunity" is before noon. If it gets past 12:30 and I don't already have him in bed, we fight about going down for a nap. If we say goodnight at noon, he lays down nicely and drifts off easily. I suggested that all to a friend who's daughter is around the same age as these two and she started napping her earlier rather than holding her off till later and she napped much better. Just a thought.

And the potty training... that's where I rely on pull-ups. I know they're "no good for training" as in they can't "feel" when they're wet, but for outings or babysitters or such in that in between phase, they were a lifesaver. That way we could still easily pull things up and down for potty tries in public and not mess slapping diapers on and off all the time. We did (for Savannah) underwear most of the time at home and a pull up for outings. Sawyer's not quite there yet...