Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Do You Need a Mate?

Let's talk socks. I am referring to the basket I have sitting on my dryer of 21 unmated socks. Do any of you have a basket like that? I've lived in this home only slightly over a year. I made a very difficult decision when I moved...I decided to throw out my basket of unmated socks at that time. So what this means is I've accrued 21 new unmated socks since our move. That's about a sock and a half a month. How is this possible? It occurs to me that possibly some of these socks are the mates to the ones I threw out before the move. And let it be known that I washed every stitch of dirty clothing in our home today. And we cleaned the bedrooms this weekend, including under beds. (It wasn't pretty.) So I know they aren't hiding under there anymore. What causes this gaping hole in the cosmos? Where are my missing socks?

3 comments:

heather said...

HaHa!
I've started keeping leaving my single socks in the basket and if I've seen the same single socks after two more whole batches of laundry (I do every speck of laundry in the house each Wednesday), then I toss what remains. I just can't stand single socks floating around in the drawers!!

It's amazing how that's such a universal phenomenon. :)

Anonymous said...

Do these live in your house too? Yesterday I noticed a strange creature exiting my washing machine. It had a couple of odd socks sticking out of its mouth. I have seen this thing creep in and out various laundry rooms (in each place I have lived) since I became responsible for washing socks. The creature is reddish in color, shaggy and hairy with three big eyes. Two long arms and very short legs.. As the thing reached the door of my laundry room it vanished into thin air. ...Maybe from another time and place ... a time traveler of sorts ... looking for one of a pair of socks to eat ... to sustain it on its travels through time. One thing I have noticed the creature never returns for the other sock of the pair... I leave them in a basket on top of my dryer ... but it never returns for THOSE socks... it always goes for the mates I have in the laundry. It seems to want ONE of a pair.

BeckyB said...

Jessica, your socks are at my house on Bob's desk ! Come get them anytime!! Becky