Monday, July 14, 2008

The Duct Tape Purse

I should let Grace create her own post about her birthday party. I just wanted to say that the duct tape purses turned out pretty well. But that was all they did. It took forever. I finally gave up, with some last-minute instructions to help them out (as if I know what I'm talking about) before I went up to bed. I said, if I'm still awake you may ask me a question, but if I'm asleep you may not wake me up.

I never heard another peep from them. The last I knew they had the Newsboys blaring in our living room, and they were hovered over a table full of folded duct tape. I fell asleep to awake at 4:26 a.m. with a start because I wondered if they got them done.

It is such a strange and ridiculous thing that I want to feel so needed (or important) that I almost got out of bed a 4 a.m. just to check on the scene. As I was falling asleep I had said to John, you're in charge now. Grace and I had agreed on bedtime around midnight. He was now the enforcer.

I don't know if I'm saying it right, but I just couldn't believe it was now 4 a.m. and nobody had needed me all night. They got settled into bed on their own, they apparently ate junk food on their own, without my setting limits, they completed the purses on their own. I guess the world still spins when mothers sleep.

I did inspect the area when I did get out of bed at 7 a.m. It looked good. They had opened up the bag of chips, but tucked it neatly away in the kitchen. They had cleaned up the duct tape mess and the table was clear. The one purse I found looked very good. I'm not sure if it was Grace's or another's, but I approve.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Could we please see a duct tape purse? It sounds like a fun project. You are still needed .. even while you sleep ...

Gina said...

Sounds like your little girl is growing up: )
Could I get your e-mail address?
gmzuerch@netscape.net
Thanks!

Judy said...

I second Mary's request...show us pictures!!! A duct tape purse intrigues me!! Part of mothering, Jessica, is organization. It sounds as though you organized them well enough that you got some sleep and didn't have a mess to clean up in the a.m.