Sunday, April 13, 2008

Let Me Tell You All About It

We had a great time at John Prine. I worked all day on Friday, didn't get home until 5:30 or so. I picked up our sitter on the way home. She is a friend of Grace's from church. Grace had her last performance of Willy Wonka, so she wouldn't be home for some of it, but I am not ready to leave her home alone until the wee hours yet anyway.

I hear that all went well in our absence. Gertie went to bed very well. Ethan sent himself to bed at the agreed-upon time (10 p.m.!). Grace was still up keeping the sitter company, but that was okay. We don't get a sitter and go on dates nearly enough. I know this. I know we should make it more of a priority, but we just don't seem to get it done. Well, when it goes so smoothly, and we have so much fun, I am newly enthused. We must date!

But back to my great evening. Can I tell you all about it? We first went to John Hardy's Barbecue. Not exactly date food, but it was actually my request. We had tried it once before and really liked it. I ordered a half-rack of ribs. The waitress said, "That is a really big meal. You probably won't be able to eat it all." I looked at John and he said, "They just don't know how much you eat." I thought he was probably right. I was really hungry. The food came and it was delicious, but I ate only two ribs. I felt foolish, but we had some great leftovers. I'll know better next time.

A man by the name of Paul Thorn opened for John Prine. He's a southern boy from Tupelo, Mississippi. I enjoyed him very much, and would recommend you all check him out. Here, I'll help you out.


He is a great storyteller and put on a great show. Then John Prine came out and didn't disappoint. He played a long, long time. He played some of our favorites, and we just had a great time. We did have a guy sitting next to us who thought we paid $45 to listen to him sing all of John Prine's songs. He was a friendly guy, though, and we had a good chat.

As I read what I'm writing, I realize it is a little boring. Do you ever have an experience when you wish everyone could share it with you? You wish they were all there? That's how I felt. I was enjoying the music so much, and I was so happy, I just wanted you all there. But...you weren't, and I'm droning on.

I'm moving on. I am excited about the week to come. It is supposed to be beautiful all week long. I don't have to work until Thursday. I want to have a play date for Gertie and some of her friends. I am really missing my friends lately. And Gertie loves having someone to play with. I want to ride bike and clean up the yard. I have less than a month now before I start to work full time for three months. I want to really enjoy this last month.

Grace should be coming home right after school from now on. She's done with the play, she isn't in a sport. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her. Oh, yeah. I need to post pictures of my little Oompa Loompa. I'll get to it soon. We got her report card and she got all As, no surprise there, but lots of teachers commented about how hard she works and that her performance is commendable. I am truly proud of how hard she works at school. She's already asked me to fix her an egg for breakfast on Tuesday and Wednesday because they are taking the MCA tests and she wants to have a good protein breakfast. I did not think that way when I was 11.

Ethan, on the other hand, has been watching Star Wars every chance he gets. One of the cable channels has been running the whole series for the last week. In order. They can't be missed. Then he walks around with the light sword fighting storm troopers and the like. He received that light sword for his birthday when he was three or four, I think. He hadn't played with it in years, but now it is the favorite thing. Strange how those things go. He's asking for another one for his birthday too. Of course, that isn't until November. I think the request may change by then, but you never know.

Good night.

No comments: