Saturday, April 26, 2008

Here I sit in front of a fire with a good John Grisham book called A Painted House. Ethan took Gertie to the top floor and the rest of us are all curled up with books. We expected snow today, but what started as a yucky, overcast morning with sprinklings of snow on the ground has turned out to be a relatively pleasant day, except for a very strong wind.

A couple things you might enjoy about Gertie:

The other day she was crying in her room (I can't seem to recall why). I went in to see what was wrong, and she told me, but then, through her sobs, she said, "Can you pick me up and say, Shh, shh, shh, to make my feelings feel better?" I thought that was so cute, and telling about how some serious loving really does help cure physical pain.

John and I have been really trying to crack down on her fussing and whining (which she does a lot of) by telling her to take it to the other room, and also cracking down on her rude behavior to others, so needless to say, she's been making frequent visits to the no-no chair. Today she carries her Baby Mike over to the no-no chair while having this conversation:

Gertie: Baby Mike, you have to sit in the no-no chair.
Baby Mike: I don't want to.
Gertie: You sit right here.
(She puts Baby Mike in the no-no chair and moves the chair to a more isolated spot in the living room.)
Baby Mike: Why?
Gertie: You kicked me. Now you sit right here.
(She walks just a step or two away, then returns.)
Gertie: Do you know why you are in the no-no chair?
Baby Mike: No.
Gertie: You kicked me. You need to say you are sorry.
Baby Mike: I am sorry.
Gertie: Now give me some love.
(She lifts Baby Mike out of the chair and gives her (or him?) a hug.

Now, Gertie has actually been putting her babies in the no-no chair for a long time, so that is nothing new. But this is the first time I've noticed such a long, back and forth conversation between her and the baby.

I'm sure you are all thinking, "Wow. She must really be making the connection between her bad behavior and the consequences she suffers. I'm sure she'll stop saying, "Do you know what? I don't love you," and having screaming tantrums and disobeying very, very soon.

Gosh, thanks for the encouragement. That's just what I needed to hear.

As for my big kids, Ethan tells me he's cleaned his room, when actually he's just stuffed most of what was on his floor into his closet, and only admits this when I agree to take him to Target and he can't find his wallet. I'm standing in his room and he says to me a couple times (suspiciously), "You can just go downstairs. I'll come down right after I find my wallet." He never did find his wallet. And he never did get to go to Target.

But on a happier note, he roasted marshmallows in the fireplace tonight after wittling a couple marshmallow sticks with his pocket knife. He was in heaven.

Grace is obviously excited about her virtual shopping trip. (Thanks for the tip, Heather.) Her request was to go to the library, and while we were there she saw an application for volunteering at the library during the summer. She has already filled out the application. If that works out, she'll be in heaven.

Oh, Baby Mike just kicked Gertie again.


John and I went to dinner. We had great conversation and a genuinely good time. I love that man. I was in heaven. Then we tried to continue that great conversation when we came home, but it is too often interrupted by the goings-on of family. If there is anything I find frustrating about family life, it is the inability to have focused conversations with my husband when I have the energy to think clearly and deeply. I truly do miss that. I mean, we get them on dates, but those are short and sparse. I want more.

And now Baby Mike just kicked me! This child is out of control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for this post. Mommy