Sunday, January 20, 2008

On the Other Side of the World

Well, I am soaking up lots of baby. Mine, as well as theirs. Gertie has had so much of my undivided time this last week that I'm sure she's getting spoiled. I guess I don't mind, though. Reality is going to hit hard in a couple days, and I have truly treasured this time.

And to watch my little sister become a mother has been one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I've had a permanent smile on my face these last couple days. I know Beth and Mike think I'm mocking them as Verena cries and I just smile. I'm not mocking them; I just love watching them be parents. It makes me happy. It makes me remember that point in my own life. Just a very special time.

I've had some great conversations with my Uncle Dale during my stay as well. Some good, deep discussions on religious philosophy, if you'd call it that. I don't often have opportunity and a willing partner for such a long stretch. I love thinking on the topics and getting to know how my Uncle thinks as well.

God just plunks us into the family of His choosing. Plunks maybe sounds careless, which I'm sure it is not, but we have nothing to say about it. You can love it or hate it. I just love it. I mean, I have my moments of frustration, but I love this family I'm a part of. I love my husband's family as well. I do genuinely like people, and getting to know them, so maybe that helps. I'm not sure. But I know that I treasure moments that I get to spend with them.

And speaking of family, I am missing the rest of mine. They seem to be surviving without me. I just can't understand that. Isn't mass chaos supposed to ensue? The house burn down? Major meetings and appointments forgotten or missed? How important am I? Even so, I can't wait to squeeze myself back into their busy lives and make myself known again. It'll be the best.

I forgot my camera. I can't believe I did, but it is what it is. I've had some great times that will only be captured by text this time. Sorry.

My Cousin Katy came for a visit today with her family. Gertie had some good manners, followed by some bad ones, while playing with her kids. It was funny to hear Katy and I try to out- referee each other as we tried to break up little disagreements about sharing and the like. We are both trying to raise caring, compassionate kids that really just want things their own way. But it was fun to see her with her family again.

Well, I'm sure my new niece needs me. I think she's calling my name...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey guys, great to read this, glad you pointed out this site. Never blogged before. This is cool. Congrats to Beth.

Brock