Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Back to the Grindstone


Well, vacation is over. The kids are preparing their school things for tomorrow. I always like the new beginnings, but I miss the days when we're all at home. I was looking at the calendar for this week, and it isn't too busy. That will help ease us into regular life again.

We had a good time in South Dakota with John's mom. I think we truly wear her out. I try to be helpful and pick up after myself and my brood, but the truth is, I can't even keep all that up when we're at home. She was constantly feeding us and cleaning up after us and entertaining us. I didn't know we were such hard work, but I think we are. It is a blessing to be with her, and we love every minute. We have her a new light fixture for Christmas and John installed it. It looks very nice. Mark gave her a--are you ready for this?--cordless phone with multiple handsets. It works great. She's got one in the basement and one by her favorite chair, and one by her bed. The house is small, so now she shouldn't have to take more than six steps in any direction to reach a telephone. Now she just needs to remember they're there. Seriously.

Some favorite Christmas presents:

John: The poor guy. I don't think he got anything to be too excited about. I'm glad he loves us anyway.

Jessica: A super-soft mint green bathrobe. I love it.

Grace: Apples to Apples. A very fun game when you want some good laughs. There is no real point, but lighthearted fun all around. A razor and shaving cream. Yes, I caved. She gets to shave the legs.

Ethan: Hockey skates, stop watch (Yes. We have timed everything possible, including the ride to Grandma's house.) We knew this would be a huge hit for Ethan. I remember another Mom advising me when he was about 2 to turn everything into a competition for him. That was the best advice I ever got. It still works.

Gertie: A waterbaby. I searched high and low, almost gave up hope, but then I finally found them at Wal*Mart. She loves it. (I knew she would. How could you not?) And a stroller for her babies.

We had a great time out at the Engen Farm on Christmas day. It was crowded with family and food. We have all come to truly look forward to that tradition. It is great to have so much family so close together. It makes for great fellowship. We love it.

After we returned home--and I mean right after--I headed up to the Cities to help my Mom look after my step dad in the hospital. He is recovering fairly well. I don't think there are any complications, but it is slow coming. I am surprised how exhausting hovering can be.

I came home on New Year's Eve at around 10:30 p.m. John was stuffing the kids (big ones only) full of soda and junk food. This is our tradition. All they can eat. I made it until almost midnight, and they outlasted me. This is hardly unusual. Sometimes I just can't stay awake to save my life. I am definitely a morning person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Berkes! I envy that you got all that time with Mom and Christmas with the extended family.