Monday, January 7, 2008

Counting the Days

Well, this is my last week at home before I head off to see my little sister and her baby. I am feeling anxious about how much junk I need to take on this trip and how much junk I'm going to be allowed to take. I like to travel light. I'd rather do without than pack things for just-in-case. It it warm there (yahoo) so I need to dig through summer things. I need to find summery things that will fit Gertie. Do I take her bed or just have her sleep with me. She hasn't been very agreeable toward her portacrib the last couple times we've been out of town with her. At my mom's place she preferred to sleep on the floor. However, if I need to insist on naps, I may need those mesh walls. Then the carseat. I guess I need it. How about a stroller? I am starting to feel overwhelmed. But only about that part. The rest is just exciting.

They changed the date of Grace's spelling bee to a time when I'll be gone. That is very disappointing to me, but John says he'll go. I just like to be there for Grace, and I believe it means something to have us there. Last night I came home very grumpy from my visit with my mom and step dad. Gertie went two days without naps (that has never happened before, and it isn't a good thing). She cried for basically the whole way home, except sleeping for 25 minutes. And these were blood-curdling screams much of the time, not just whimpering. John was nice and happy to see me, Grace was happy to see me and wanting to tell me different things, but it was sort of like everything and every noise was driving me crazy. I just wanted to crawl into bed. You just don't realize how badly that can fry your nerves. I feel bad about it.

But today is a new day. Gertie is going to get a good nap today. I will make sure of it. I need to clean and maybe pack up the Christmas tree (at least this week). We didn't put it up for so long, that we haven't been too anxious to take it down. But I don't think I want to come back to it still in its place.

My Bible study starts up again this week after a three-week break. I was excited about that until I realized I need to miss the next two weeks in a row. I think I've mentioned we're studying Revelation, which has been so interesting. I love talking about it and thinking about it and wondering what it all means. I'll be excited to get back to it as soon as I can.

Well, it's time for lunch around here. We're eating tuna and soup. What are you having? I love knowing what people eat. I don't know why. I'm just interested. John gave me a People magazine and John Mayer said he's got a blog (I think) telling what he eats every day. I don't even really know who he is, but I'm interested in what he's eating. It was probably a big joke. I'll have to check it out.

3 comments:

heather said...

I just have to say I love this post Jess! I love that you just randomly go from what's been going on, to what you're planning ahead for, to how you feel about all of that, even the little things like lunch. It feels so chatty! I love that you're blogging now!

My kids are eating a "toothpick" lunch today... cold chunked up turkey, green beans, and mandarin oranges. I gave them each a toothpick to eat with instead of forks or just their hands, in hopes that the fun and novelty of it would encourage a few more bites than normal. It worked with Savannah!
I usually just munch a little while they're eating and I'm cleaning up the kitchen. Then I eat leftovers or a sandwich or something else later in peace while they're resting. Tuna and soup sounds good!

Have a great week!
p.s... did your sister have her baby already?

jessica said...

No baby yet. Today is the due date. Ugh.

Megan said...

Here's my thought Jessica about the portacrib and stroller.(it's just my thought, you can ignore it if you want!)
Skip the portacrib, maybe for naps just lay down in a bed with her till she falls asleep and then put pillows all around her. And the stroller, you can buy a umbrella stroller for like $10 at wal-mart when you get there and then just leave it with your sister when you come home!! Just my ideas for travelling light! The car seat, maybe check and see if your sister has a friend she can borrow one from(if you are lapping Gertie on the plane!)
I hope you have a great trip!! I'll be thinking of you in your warm place when I'm in my warm place(HAWAII)!!!!! We're 2 lucky gals!!!
I miss you, we'll have to get together when we get home from our trips!!
Megan