Monday, October 29, 2007

On Picking Favorites

I told you that Ethan was asking about favorites. I've been thinking about that. I don't pick favorites. In a motherly way I know I never could.

Well, my 20-month-old daughter doesn't feel the same way. Gertie has chosen. It isn't me. I can't believe this is happening with the child I carried in my womb and nursed at my breast for a whole year. What is going on here?

I'll tell you. My husband is unemployed. He's not unemployed in an unfortunate sort of way where he brings in no income, sits on the couch watching football and drinking beer. No. He's on sabbatical. He still gets paid. And technically he's still got work to do, but he doesn't have to make any formal appearances outside the home.

Now there are many benefits to having him home 24/7. He is a help around the house, and he's available for watching Gertie when I want to attend a meeting or run an errand. He's getting some things done around here that need getting done. And I like him, so it's good to have his company, in general.

But I am discovering the negative side to this as well. Gertie is spending so much time with her Daddy that she is choosing HIM over ME! It is becoming commonplace around here to watch, but more importantly hear, her scream as she is passed to me when Dad walks out the door. It is not unusual for her to follow Dad around the kitchen crying as he tries to cook dinner while I beg her to join me in the family room. When I carry her off to bed she pleads for Daddy instead of me.

So if your husband starts talking of quitting his job or taking a sabbatical or even a lengthy vacation, start securing your position as the favorite parent as quickly as you can. Feed them anything they ask for. Brownies for breakfast? Good idea. Take them to the park whenever they want. No, I don't think you need a nap today. Let's go play on the slide. Don't make them share their toys. Who needs friends anyway?

And I don't think it would hurt to sabotage the relationship between your husband and your child either. It's not completely a bad idea to encourage her to color a nice picture on Dad's favorite shirt, or eat the last cookie he's had his eye on since breakfast.

This is war. I have changed a lot of diapers to earn my place in my daughter's heart. I won't give up without a fight. I can play dirty. Let's go.

3 comments:

Judy said...

This is choice!! You should publish this one in a Parents' magazine. But never forget that little girls (and big girls) have a special relationship with their Daddys. So you are swimming against the flow anyway. : )
Love you Judy <><

Megan said...

you are so funny jessica!!! My kids prefer Brian over me. It makes me so mad, I'm the one that is there with them all day taking care of them. When he comes home, i could leave and they wouldn't even notice!! Oh well, I've learned to appreciate it. It gives me a break at night!!

grace said...

I never knew you had it in you to talk like that about dad!! Wow mom, what happened to you?