Saturday, December 8, 2007

for grandparents' eyes only

This is a cute little video I took of Gertie the other day. We look at her often thinking she's our last baby, and we're so glad we did this again.

Okay. Maybe a bit long for those parties not involved in conceiving this child, but enjoy it for as long as you see fit.

I thought all you grandparents may enjoy seeing this essay Grace wrote for English and Social Studies. I liked it.

Grace Berke

10/11/07

English

Per.3

Why I am an American Patriot

“Give me liberty or give me death”, quotes American Patriot Patrick Henry. I definitely consider myself an American patriot, not because I’m a New England fan (football), but because I love my country and would die for it. There’s just one problem: they don’t let eleven year-olds into the Army. So I’ve resorted to helping those who have joined.

In the first grade, we wrote letters to soldiers in Iraq, and in second grade, another classmate and I got our letters back. That letter touched me in ways I cannot explain. From then on, I’ve had a soft spot for soldiers and their families. A few years back, our church started watching kids at the National Guard while their parents supported each other, as they were going through hard times. I loved it when my mom said we could go. It was fun and I loved knowing that I was helping. It meant a lot to me, even though I was young.

In World War II, women were more common in the Army, not to fight necessarily, but as nurses. People started rationing rubber and other substances, and grew “victory gardens” so more canned products could go overseas to the soldiers. In the Revolutionary War, many patriotic merchants stopped selling tea altogether to support the war.

A Patriot has many qualities. They are responsible, respectful, mentally strong, and bold people that are quick to think and do the best that they can to help and support our country, and our world, and they’ve done a pretty good job too. I mean, if Thomas Jefferson wouldn’t have taken the time to write the Declaration of Independence, what would have happened? If Abe Lincoln would’ve just ignored the injustice of slavery, what would our world look like today? If Franklin Delano Roosevelt wouldn’t have sent us to Germany, or hadn’t helped with the Depression, what would it be like? Patriots are people who try to improve life for the people of their country. Without all these people, just think what life might be like for you and me.

So I guess I am an American patriot because I love my country and support those who do whatever they feel they can to make a difference, until someday I will have the opportunity to make a difference myself.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Grace, your essay was delightful. You express yourself well and make some very compelling points. I think that my 6th graders would be impressed if I read your essay to them. Should I? I hate to brag about my grandchildren so much...it might make my students feel bad! : )
I won't brag about Gertie's vocal abilities yet. I think she could use a few singing lessons, don't you??
Love you all, Nana <><