Thursday, December 6, 2007

Cold Days

This morning I left the house in my pajamas, my coat, hat, mittens and boots. I needed to drive the kids to school. It is about 15 degrees outside. When I pull up to Ethan's school, I see all these little children bundled up, racing all over the playground. I am pondering what happens to us as we grow older (and maybe I should only speak for myself) that we become so hindered by the extreme cold or extreme heat? I can remember being a child and not caring if the water was ice cold, I couldn't wait to splash around in it. Now I dip a toe to determine if it's satisfactory for my entire body. And even then, I don't really love it unless it's an extremely hot day. And here is a mass of children just playing tag and sliding down slides as if it were the middle of summer. They don't care about the cold. I think there is something to be learned here.

And, on a different note, Ethan came home from wrestling last night having been awarded the wrestler of the week. He was so excited--is so excited. This morning he was telling me how he doesn't think anyone at school will get it. I guess he's the only wrestler in his class. I think they'll be happy for him just because he's happy, but he says they won't understand how hard he's worked for the last 5 (really it's only been 4) years. Do you think he's focused on a little glory for himself? I am still working on this with Ethan, but I'm proud of how hard he works at it.

We had a child care spending account this year through John's paycheck. We planned ahead because I knew I was going to work those three months full time. Anyway, I overestimated the amount I should have put in, and we now have about a hundred and fifty dollars left to spend. Now we are making arrangements to take Gertie to the sitter so we don't "waste our money". I just think it's interesting that we have created reasons to take her (and really there are things that need accomplishing. I am going to help John with his sabbatical project a bit, and this allows us to work together on it before I fall asleep in mid sentence after the kids go to bed.) I am not sure I'm getting this out right, but I sort of think either option is sort of a waste. It's like when I'm feeling full at dinner and there is still food on my plate, I stuff it in because I don't want to "waste" it. Is that really better? I don't think so. But, I guess I'll just get to spend some time with my husband, pretending like it's a date--and maybe we can squeeze one of those in there too.

The phone just rang, Grace forgot her cello book for her lesson. I'm still in my pajamas. Do I fully dress before I head out this time? I think so...

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi! This is Papa...
Glad to hear about your wrestler of the week accolade, Ethan! I used to really like wrestling when I was young. I wasn't very big, so I tried to be tough. I still remember the time I beat Davey Williams 2-1 in 7th grade PE class. He was tough, but I got takedown and then just rode him like a hired mule. My Dad always taught me that good wrestlers could ride their man... Yup. True.

Contacts for Gracie? Cool! I hope she's down to about 2 hours now, and enjoyinhg her unadorned looks. Does she still appear to be intelligent without her glasses? I sure hope so. And I am one who goes for the "no combing" policy, too.