Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Save Some Room

It is only one week until Christmas. I am feeling a little more in the spirit. We've made progress on our shopping, I got my package mailed off to my Dad and family...but I've still done no baking, and we have not one decoration up.

The big reason that we haven't decorated is that the living room is spread out about the house again due to the ceiling work. The beautiful good news is that it is going to be done on Friday. John and I painted yesterday and today in preparation for the crown molding to be installed this Friday.

Of course, we leave on Saturday morning for South Dakota to celebrate Christmas with John's mom, so there won't be much time to straighten things back up (but I'm certain I'll do it anyway because I am SO excited to see it all finished off and looking good).



This morning John and I went to Grace's orchestra concert. I felt foolish as I teared up watching her play her cello. She is just so different than I was at that age. She likes her own things and follows her own interests. And one of them is music. It is bewildering to me, but I'm so proud of her. She really enjoys it.

Ethan just walked in the door from school quite upset about an incident that occurred yesterday during math. He presented me with a letter he wrote that reads like this:

"Dear Mom and Dad,
I got in trouble for spraying another student. It is true. I did it. I'm sorry, I saw a spray bottle with water in it. We played with it and it got out of hand. If I went back in time I would have left it alone and done my math. I'm dissapointed to."

Ethan is in a more independent math with three other kids, so they are unsupervised most of the time. I think they usually do very well, but not today. Now he's been told he'll have to
return to his own class after he gets his math lesson assigned.

We gave him a thorough talking-to and John is preparing to give him a viscous snuggy.

These are some of our Christmas pictures this year. I love these kids so much. I told Ethan that on the way home from his piano lesson last night. I told him, "I love you so much that my heart feels like it's going to explode sometimes." He told me, "Save some room for Jesus and the rest of our family."

So I guess I will.

You ought to save some room too. Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jessica...your kids (& Johns)are great! Or have I told you that before.What a blessing they truely are.I can't imagine having my house "torn up" with home repairs at Christmas time. I have always loved decorating for special days,ESPECIALLY for Christmas. I'm a bit of a perfectionist,but an often frustrated one.Thanks for the gentle reminder of what this season is about. It's(the attitude of)the Heart.Love to you all. And safe travels!!

Judy said...

what a treat it is to read this blog -- i loved the videp insert! wasnt that a seal skin i recognize from the great grandpa furnish archives. gertie is quite the singer (with prompts). jessie -- thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this. i think it's good for your family and GREAT for the rest of us!
love, dad

Megan said...

Jessica, great pictures! There's something about black and white that makes kids look so awesome!