Saturday, November 10, 2007

Celebrations of Life and Death

This morning I woke up early to do some Bible study before the rest of my family awoke. I am still studying Revelation, which is fascinating and rich, but I didn't get too far. My birthday boy said that Gertie woke him up. That was about 6:20 a.m. We sang Happy Birthday, Gertie and I, and now he's watching what he wants on tv this morning.

Yesterday was a full day. I finished up a 3-day jury trial in Rochester. It was a very interesting case about a girl that had filed a complaint against a boyfriend for terroristic threats (I'll kill you) and assault by strangulation. She gave the police a statement on that night, but when it finally came to trial (a year and a half later) she was very hostile to the state and "didn't remember" anything. She would say that she told the truth when she gave the statement, but reading the statement did NOT refresh her memory. There was a neighbor witness to an assault, but she couldn't identify who the people involved were because it was dark out. And the defendant had an alibi witness (his step mom) saying that he was at her house. Anyway, the jury deliberated about seven hours before finding him guilty. I didn't leave there until 5:45, having a 45 minute drive home ahead of me.

The exciting part of the day is that we had 20 junior highers coming to our home after a bowling party. The house was in chaos after a long day at home with the kids for John. (He did make a delicious beef strogonoff that I scarfed down the second I walked in the door.) We worked like a skilled team of busy bees as we flew around picking up this and that and getting the snack table ready in record time. The bathrooms didn't make the list, but thankfully no one needed to use one! Gertie made it to bed minutes before they arrived and slept through the raucous perfectly. They had a great time playing a few games and chatting together. I know it had been a long day, but I thoroughly enjoyed the commotion.

But after that I was definitely ready to veg. Which I did.

Today is Ethan's day. He had a small birthday party planned at the bowling alley (weren't we just there?) and then back home for cake and ice cream. He had only wanted to invite three boys, two of which were coming, and one was a maybe (but I think that means probably not). Last night we got a call that another of the buddies was going to be going out of town. That leaves one. Not the conventional idea of a birthday party. We offered to postpone, but Ethan wants to go ahead. We'll have a good time as a family plus one.

I am excited for this next week of no work at all. John has graciously given me Gertie duty for the full week. He wants to really focus on his work projects. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to win her back.

The guy working on our doors is almost done. That has been a frustrating adventure (when I wasn't looking for an adventure) but I'm excited to finally have it done. I worry as I write this that I may be speaking too soon.

My saddest bit of news is that my Grandpa died yesterday. He was my last living grandparent, and a great grandpa. I miss him already. I am blessed to have the memories he took the time to make with me. He was patient, as I remember it. He didn't like whining much (I'm sure I didn't do any of that). He was a man of few words, but I knew he loved me. He loved all his grandkids very much, I could tell in the way he talked about them all. We took this picture this summer. We were out at his old house after a hike. Grandpa didn't get out of the car, but we wanted to get a picture. I like this one, actually, even though it's a bit unconventional. I think it shows that he was a hard man, not affectionate, but that his family loved and respected him and surrounded him. I'm not sure I'm saying that right, and I'm feeling sentimental, but I loved this man very much, and I'm grateful he was chosen to be in my life. I've had great grandparents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica-Sorry about the loss of your grandpa.Now that I am a grandparent,I thoroughly understand the special bond.What a blessing to have spent some time with him recently.Tell Ethan HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We are thinking of him!

Megan said...

Jessica~ I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa, grandparents are the best. It's hard to lose your last one too, knowing that that part of your life is gone. It's hard for me to imagine my children's lives without my grandparents. I really want them to know them!