Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This Really Stinks

Good morning.  I am out of bed early—kicked out, really.  Gertie came in during the night, sardined me up against my husband, and I woke up with a kink in my neck, an ache in my shoulder, and a horrible smell being blown in by the fan in my window.

The Hormel plant is located about a mile west of our house.  We did know this when we moved into this house.  What we did not know, is that occasionally, the very thick smell of burning pork comes rolling straight to us on the breezes that blow by.  We were horrified by this, and I thought my husband was going to pack up all we own and move our family again.

That was back when we moved in.  And since then we’ve realized it is only occasionally, and for a brief period of time.  We’ve made it.  We’ve put it mostly out of our minds.

This last week, however, the air has been very thick again with that horrible smell.  For long stretches of time.  Gagging stretches.  Last night I was threatening to call the City and tell on Hormel.  Do you think they’d shut Hormel down?  I’m thinking they won’t.  Do you think they’d insist Hormel do something more environmentally friendly about their burning pork flesh emissions?  I’m just not sure they would. 

I have been reminded just recently that people around these parts call that the “Smell of Money.” Pew.

In other more fragrant news, we’ve had John’s nephew Drew and his girlfriend Meg staying with us this last week.  They are on their way from Pennsylvania (home) to South Dakota (college), and asked if they could stay with us and hitch a ride with us when we go back for the reunion weekend.  It’s been fun having them around, and they’ve been very helpful every time they’ve been asked to chip in.  I know my kids are very much enjoying having them around.  Especially Gertie.  Especially Ethan.  Especially Grace. 

We’ve (really Grace) also been watching a friend’s kids during the morning hours this week.  Gertie’s been loving having the playmates.  She’s tuckered out by bedtime.  And sometimes before. 

I need to take some pictures of all these goings-on.  I’ve put that on my list for today.

Ethan has his last baseball game of the season tonight.  I’m debating whether or not I should wash that dusty uniform from Monday night’s game or just slap it on him dusty.  It’s the last game.  (Does that really matter, it being the last game and all?)

I’ve put that on my list as well.

Grace got a new bike.  She keeps growing.  That really makes me mad.

I am so excited for our upcoming vacations.  The first is the South Dakota one where all of John’s siblings and their kids and their kids are coming for visit.  That is going to be so fun.  John’s mom turns 80 this year, the reason for the big celebration.  But sshhh.  Don’t tell her it’s all about her.  She doesn’t know that yet.

Then we head straight up to Northern Minnesota, for a much smaller reunion with my Dad and Stepmom and my sisters.  We’ve not explored Minnesota north of the Twin Cities at all yet.  I can’t believe that is true.  But I’m really looking forward to this get-together.  We have two full weeks of fun packed in right before school kicks up again.

Better get to that list.  It keeps growing as I sit here.

No comments: