Saturday, August 2, 2008

Prize-Winning Cabbage





At the end of school last year Ethan brought home a little cabbage plant in a styrofoam cup. He had a sheet of paper that explained that if he grows this cabbage and takes a picture of it when it's all grown up, he'll be put in a drawing for a $1000 prize.

I don't think it necessarily has to be the best cabbage or the biggest cabbage. It is just a completed and good-looking cabbage.

We cut it this morning. It is huge. It is 11 pounds! Really, I'm not the master gardener. I don't quite know how many of the leaves to peel off before we get to the real head. His may be smaller if I knew that. It's very oval shaped.

Now what do I do with this cabbage? If anyone has any recipe ideas, please let me know. The gal that cuts my hair said she stir fries it. That doesn't sound too bad, but I already can't remember what she stir fried it with.



And this is my little cabbage. She didn't want to be left out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics,but sorry I can't help.I am not much of a fan of cabbage.Especially cooked. I do like a good coleslaw with handfulls of dried cranberries in it though.:)Barb

Unknown said...

cranberries ... sounds good Barb... forward all the directions for this dish... I'm interested too... :) Mary - Jessie's Mama